Celebrating 75 years in 2016!
In April 1941, the Civic Employees’ Welfare Chest Fund came into existence in Edmonton. Supported by a group of six civic unions and associations, the Fund was formed for three main purposes to cover the period until the end of WWII.
- To contribute to the comfort of military patients in Edmonton hospitals
- To provide assistance to soldiers and their families during WWII
- To give financial assistance to charitable and welfare organizations formed for the purpose of scientific research into the causes
and cures of disease
Civic employees voted by a large majority to continue the Fund in October 1945. Eventually the Fund was renamed the Edmonton Civic
Employees’ Charitable Assistance Fund (ECECAF).